A Travellerspoint blog

South Africa Adventure Tour

i appologise in advance this will be VERY long

sunny 29 °C

It has been a long time since I wrote in here, but i just didnt have time. We were all so busy on the adventure tour we barely had time to do anything else! Then i felt rushed and just not able to sit down and write about everything that we have done.

So saying goodbye to all the people in Chinsta was very sad, and the travel day was not something we looked forward to. As it was a long drive from Chinsta to Jeffery's Bay, we were suppose to meet up with the conservation groups at Port Elizabeth, but we didnt really want to wait around for 6 hours. We had a chance to do some speed shopping on Port Elizabeth, Kelsey and Clare bought heaps.

Jeffery's bay was a realy nice place, and the rooms we were staying in were also good, with a view of the ocean. However the doors to the bathroom, were sliding ones, but werent big enough to cover the whole door. This made for a couple of awkward situations and making sure to look in a different direction when people where showering. Our First day in Jeffery's bay we went surfing and horse riding. Surfing was fun, although the sand was very un even and i would randomly fall into a hole and not be able to touch the ground. The current also got really strong and i felt like i could barely move (which is even harder when i have fallen into a deep hole). Horse Riding had its good and bad bits. The wind was so strong that when we were walking through the sand dunes we were getting hit with sand and it was really painful. I couldnt look forward so spent the whole time looking at Ritcho. But it got better as we got onto the beach and got to walk along the beach. It turns out we had choosen the good way to do the activities as we surfed first and then did the horse riding, where as the other group did horse riding first and then only got to do 20 minutes of surfing because of the currents.

Day 3 - After some shopping in jeffery's bay we travelled to Storms river/Tsitsikamma National Park. Once there we went on a tree top canopy tour. It was amazing to see how they had set up the zip lining as the dont put any bolts into the tree and it is all done on tension. We learnt more about Tsitsikamma National Park and tried to do some animal spotting, Jo and Clare saw a bird, I missed it.

Day 4 - We started off with a 3 hour hike. It wasnt even the far of a distance, but most of it included walking over rocks along the side of a hill i understood while it took so long. It was a really nice walk, and it ends at a waterfall where we went swimming and some people went cliff jumping (as i had already been cliff jumping and it wasnt as big i decided i didnt want to do it) and the water was freezing. After swimming, sun baking and cliff jumping we started the hike back. It was much faster as the promise of lunch at the end was very appealing. We had lunch at a restaurant with an amazing view of the ocean. After lunch it was time for those brave enough to do the Bungy. As i would never do it, i decided to go and watch them do it. It was so scary for me. Clare, Kelsey and I all screamed when Ritcho jumped off. He was the first, and obviously the bravest to go first. However the look on his face showed he was hesitant. We sat in a restaurant that has a screen so we can see their faces before they jump off. and close ups of them falling.

Day 5 - Ocean Kayaking. I was really looking forward to this, until they told us how we would get out there. Going through the waves i was sure i would fall out. i didnt and i was very releaved. I am a bit disappointed that we only got to see one seal, but it was really close. Some people in the group saw a shark swimming near them, im so glad i didnt see that. i would have freaked! Going back into shore was the worst. it felt like we werent going anywhere and i started to get sea sick. It was horrible. Coming into shore as well i fell out of the kayak and had it land on my head. It really hurt! After lunch and looking around, we drove to Oudtshoorn the ostich capital of the world (apprantly anyway)

Day 6 - Cango caves, kelsey was very worried about doing this but she did it just fine. Some of the spots were really small and tiny and i got like stuck while trying to climb up through one! it was so difficult to move. But it was amazing, i did it barefoot. the ground got very slimy at some spots, which was kinda gross but it added to the experience. After finishing the cave tour, which took forever with 30 people, we did a cycling tour (14 or 16 km i cant remember) to the ostrich farm where we had lunch and the opportunity to eat ostrich. It was weird, i didnt like it very much and couldnt get over the fact that i was eating an ostirch. The farm was pritty interesting, we got to hold baby ostrichs, kelsey rode an ostrich, kelsey got a "hug" from an ostrich (even though she spent most of the time trying to move away from it and making noises), i also stood on ostrich eggs (and no they did not break)

Day 7 - travell day. it a very long day and we finally end up in cape town.

Day 8 - We have a 3 hour walking tour (which consists of more sitting down and listening then actually walking), having been drinking the night before some of us *cough* alex *cough* wasnt feeling very good, lets just say she added something to the goverment gardens in front of the parliament building. the guide then left, jo, alex and me as we had gone to the bathroom, we didnt get to go to the district 6 museum which i had wanted to go to. (Cape Town resisted Apartai in the beginning but the sent their hardest people to cape town, and destroyed all the houses in District 6, however when "whites" were told they could built where they wanted in district 6, no one did) We did some more shopping (i didnt buy any clothes, it was all the other girls!) it was time to go to Robben Island. It was very interesting to go there, first you go on an half an hour bus ride around the island. We got shown the minds Nelson Mandela worked in and that because of those minds he cant cry. It was then time to meet up with our tour guide, who was an ex political prisoner, who took us round and told us all about the actual prison. We later found out he was imprisoned for high treason (blowing up things). For Dinner we went to this really nice place called Moyo African Village, which included buffet, dance and music. it was so pritty there. and i would recommend going there for anyone who goes to Cape Town. Today was a really long day, as we didnt get home til 12, and had started very early so we were all exhausted.

Day 9 - was supposed to be absailing down table mountain but the weather was not good at all. So, Clare, Kelsey, Luke, Alex, Kim and I all decided we would have a day off instead of going to some other mountain (this actually worked out really well for us, because they others didnt get to absail so we really missed out on nothing). We went shopping, and wondered round Cape Town. At one point we ended up in the wrong part of town and a guy started talking to Luke and started to get agressive. Kelsey was freaking out. We later found out that he had threatened luke but he hadnt told us coz we were already freaked out.

Day 10 - sandboarding. Kelsey and I were awesome! snowboardig really helped. We even helped people who face planted and were falling over (yes we are just that good). Walking back up the sand dunes was a bit annoying as the biggest one my legs just sunk in and the sand would move and i took a long time to get back up to the top. We also had to wax our board after every run. After sandboarding we were suppose to have to have the afternoon off, but since no one absailed we got to do that instead. So we went to the top of Table mountain, and absail 116m down. with a little surprise half way down. as must of you know im not very good with height, and i was completely fine, until they strapped me in and were like ok now walk backwards over the cliff. i was the first one strapped in and the last one to get over the ledge. I was freaking out so badly, and my guy who was my safety line was not very happy with me at all. The surprise consisted of the wall dropping away and you just lowering yourself down. My hands got very sore, and i started to get tangled up in alexs ropes, (thank god she had already finished coz there was no way i was looking down). I ended up being the second one to get to the bottom and i just couldnt move. Alex had to take off my gloves and my harness for me cause i couldnt move and i felt sick. We then had to walk back up. The paths got so close to the end, it was like if i slipped i would fall over.

Day 11 - another travell day, with a flight from Cape Town to Jo'burg and then a 5 hour drive to Blyde River. It was so hot when we got there, that most of us went straight for the pool.

Day 12 - travelling to Kruger National Park, going the scenice route and stopping at places such as Bourkes Luck Potholes to God's Window. When we got through the gates at Kruger, it was time to see if we could spot any animals. Sure even we spotted antilope (so many of them) and a pride of lions. It is so hot at Kruger that we again ran for the pool once we were there, before we went on our Sunset Game drive where we saw Buffollo, Elephants, Rhinos, Worthogs, giraffe, zebra. i think thats all.

Day 13 - was an early morning game drive, with a stop for brunch. We came across a herd of Elephants, which was cool and an adolescent male on PMS, who tried to dare us to ran at him, and threatening behaviour which was cool to see. When we decided to move on it was raning next to the truck and a little voice in side my head was saying "yeah thats right run away i win". He seemed very proud as he walked back to the herd. It was then that a MASSIVE elephant came to see what all the fuss was about. Alot of us decided that we didnt want to go on the afternoon game drive, as it was getting so hot in the trucks and we were satisfied with the animals we had already seen. Although if they had come back and said they had seen a leopard we would have all been secretly crying.

Day 14 - drive from kruger to Jo'burg where we all had to stay the night in not very good accomodation. The bathrooms were gross, our toilet was so low, and our bathroom had two showers in it. why i dont know.

Day 15 - well we hung around at the hotel until the group flight had to leave (leaving me all alone in jo'burg) and it was sad to leave them all and its weird that i am alone having spent the last 2 weeks with 27 people and the 2 weeks before with 12.

Day 16 - i am patiently waiting for time to leave my hotel so that i can get on a plan and come home!!

Posted by TarrynK 21:55 Archived in South Africa Tagged volunteer

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint